Monday, April 13, 2015

Marshmallow Popcorn Treats


This recipe comes from Cooking Light Magazine (do you subscribe to this magazine yet? No, you should, it has consistently great recipes). These treats were super quick and easy; I like this take on a Rice Krispie treat but with popcorn.  Cooking Light suggests using popcorn in a bag like Smart Pop. I just used my air-popper because that's how I roll. Microwave popcorn!? That's a dirty word in my house!! No, no, no!!

Anyway, my big kids have achievement testing this week. So, I thought it would put a smile on their faces to come home to this sweet, yet not too unhealthy, snack after a hard day's work. Hope your crew enjoys them too!
  • 1 (10-ounce) package miniature marshmallows
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter <I used Earth Balance>
  • 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 10 cup salt- and oil-free popped popcorn, such as SmartPop <I used kernels and an air popper>
  • 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped <I used a 1/4 cup Enjoy Life! choco chips>

Preparation

1. Grease a 9X13 pan with butter or spray <I used coconut oil>.  Line with parchment paper, allowing paper to extend over edges of pan; coat paper with cooking spray.
2. Combine marshmallows, butter, and salt in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook mixture until melted and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in popcorn. Transfer mixture to pan, pressing with greased parchment paper.
3. Place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute; stir until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over popcorn mixture. Refrigerate 5 minutes. Lift mixture from pan, and cut into 12 bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment