Thursday, March 5, 2015

Almond Cacao-Nib Smoothie


I hardly ever make a smoothie that isn't green.......but after another snow day trapped in the house, I figured I needed a little bit of a treat.  I can honestly say this is one of the best smoothies I have ever made!!!  It was so delicious I slurped up every last nib (and I literally mean every last nib....I sprinkled a 1/2 tsp of cacao nibs on the top- I am a huge fan of the cacao nib- they are considered a "power food", after all!!).

This is a decadent smoothie that is perfect for newbies, children or as a dessert for seasoned green smoothie drinkers like myself. Enjoy!!

This recipe is from the blog, The Healthy Apple. This will make enough for two people.

2 cups almond milk <Whole Foods, Fresh Market & Silk are my favorite brands of almond milk because they do not contain carrageenan, a food additive>
2 large bananas, peeled
½ cup gluten-free oats
1 Tbsp. almond butter
¼ tsp. organic vanilla extract
1½ Tbsp. organic cacao nibs
½ Tbsp. crushed raw almonds
2 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
**I added a few ice cubes to make it cold

***UPDATE - I made this again and this time added two large handfuls of spinach- it didn't change the flavor at all, but just added green goodness! Delicious!!!!


Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to two tall glasses and serve chilled. Sprinkle a few cacao nibs on top if you are feeling wild! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment