Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"The Works" 7-Layer Chocolate Bars

"Dang!!!" That's what I said to myself when I took a bite of these heavenly bars. And the "dang" was a wow-these-are-so-good-I-can't-believe-I'm-in-such-pure-chocolate-peanut-butter-crunchy-chewy-goodness-bliss kind of a dang! So um, did I like these? YES! Am I encouraging you to make them? You bet! And I am thankful for the Domestic Rebel blog from whence this recipe was swiped? Sure am!

Read this if there are nut allergies in your family:
Oh, and if you have nut allergies in your family I wanted to throw a few ideas out there for you to ponder. I have many friends who have children with nut allergies. I know they love a good 7 layer chocolate bar as much as the next person, but, of course, their 7 layers are limited.....or are they!? Not necessarily! I've been thinking very hard about how my friends (I've got your back, Dana & Shannon) can make these treats allergen friendly for their kiddos (all whom I love). So, here are a few ideas...I think you could use ANY of these substitutions in place of the honey roasted peanuts, pb chips and Reece's Pieces. Of course, always check the labels!!!!!

Rice Krispies
Cut up Rolos
Crushed Oreos
Crushed Chips A'hoy
Chopped Whoppers
Air-popped popcorn
Pretzels (Rold Gold are safe)
Mini marshmallows
I'm also told Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker & Pilsbury brands Devil's Food boxed cakes are all nut-free and safe to use
*I'm sure you nut-free savvy moms can think of even more substitutions!!!

Okay, so now, on to the regular, nut-loaded recipe!!!

Ingredients:
1 box Devil’s food cake mix
1 egg
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
1 cup peanut butter chips
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup Reese’s Pieces
1 cup honey roasted peanuts
1 can (7 oz) sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 F

Liberally grease a 13×9 inch baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, egg and melted butter (this was a little "thick" for me....so, I added about 2 Tbl water).  Stir in the crushed pretzels. Spread the mixture evenly along the bottom of the greased pan (I used my fingers to flatten the batter bc it was so "thick") and bake for about 8 minutes.

Sprinkle the par-baked bars with the peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, Reese’s Pieces and peanuts. Drizzle the top of the bars with the sweetened condensed milk. Return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly, and center is set.

Cool completely before cutting into bars. Serve warm or at room temperature. Best served within 1-2 days.


No comments:

Post a Comment