Wednesday, September 5, 2012

French Dip Sandwich


I always think of my mom when I eat a French Dip sandwich. I remember her ordering one for me at a restaurant when I was young. She told me the sandwich was "really fun" to eat because you got to dip it into a special sauce called "au jus". And she was right! French Dips are fun to eat! And with this recipe, they are also easy to make! The rump roast cooks for half a day in a slow cooker along with the onions. How simple is that?!
I adapted this recipe from an issue of Cooking Light.

1 1/2 lb bottom round beef rump roast
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 onions, sliced
1 can beef broth
2 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
3 to 4 hoagie rolls (depending on how much meat you like per roll!)
1/3 c. mayo
1/2 to 1 Tbl horseradish

Rub the rump roast with garlic salt and pepper.

Place sliced onions in the bottom of a prepared slow cooker. Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce; place roast on top of onions. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours or on LOW for 7 to 8.

Slice hoagie rolls and gently scoop out the center of each roll. I like doing this because it gives the onions and meat a place to rest, and keeps them from sliding out of the sides when you bite into it.

Heat broiler. Toast cut side of rolls for 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove roast to a cutting board. Strain the liquid from the slow cooker into a bowl, reserving onions. Cut roast horizontally in half then crosswise into slices.

In a small bowl blend mayo and horseradish.  Spread mayo blend evenly onto each roll. Top with reserved onions and beef. Serve each sandwich with a little dish of the liquid (jus) for dipping. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment