Saturday, December 29, 2012

Zucchini Jacked Soup


I was so excited to make this spicy zucchini soup! I checked out my fridge and noticed I had three zucchini already, so, I picked up another three at the grocery store (a total of six zucchini are called for) along with the rest of the ingredients needed.  As I laid everything out on the counter and got ready to chop, I realized what I thought were three zucchinis, were actually three cucumbers! DOH! Okay, cucumbers are NOT a substitute for zucchini....I had to think fast...I was so happy to discover I had a whole head of broccoli in the crisper! So......I actually used three zucchini and a head of broccoli. It was quite yummy!!! Sometimes mistakes do yield pleasant results! Still, the next time I make this (and there will be many more times to come) I am going to make it the proper way- with six full zucchinis! :)
Thank you, Gina, for yet another delicious soup recipe! Check my hilarious friend out at Hyphenista.com.

6 Tbl butter
6 zucchini, coarsely chopped
2 sweet onions, coarsely chopped
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream*
8 oz Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
4 to 6 dashes of Tabasco sauce
Crumbled cooked bacon as garnish (optional)

Melt the butter in a large soup pan over medium-low heat. Add the zucchini, onions, salt and pepper. Cook, partially covered, for 45 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add broth. Puree with an immersion blender or in a blender. Return blended soup to the soup pan. Stir in milk and cream. Add shredded cheese into the soup. Cook over medium heat until the cheese melts and soup is heated through. Stir in the Tabasco sauce. Ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with crumbled bacon if desired.

*This recipe calls for 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of cream....I used 1 1/2 cups of milk and 1/2 cup cream instead.....it still tasted great and saved a few calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment