Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Apple Oatmeal Squares


Oh my, these are good! These are SO SO SO good!!!!! I just made these this afternoon for breakfast tomorrow.....but, I'm not sure if they will even make it that long! The kids are begging for "just one more" and I've already scarfed down two of them!! They are moist, flavorful, sweet (but not too sweet), hearty....they are just plain delicious and you must make them!!!!

I made mine vegan by substituting canned coconut milk for the buttermilk. I also used Earth Balance instead of butter in the glaze.

Here is the recipe from the blog Bake. Eat. Repeat :

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup oat flour <I used almond meal because it was all I had>
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 2 apples, grated
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk <I used canned coconut milk>
For the Glaze:
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter <I used Earth Balance>
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
  • 1/2-1 tablespoon water, optional

Directions

For the Bars:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside. <I didn't use parchment, I just greased the pan with coconut oil>
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, oat flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and brown sugar. Add the grated apples and stir to combine.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the applesauce, vanilla and buttermilk until smooth. Add this to the apple mixture and stir until everything is evenly moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan (it will be thick) and smooth it into an even layer.
  4. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the squares are golden brown. <I baked mine just 30 minutes> Allow to cool in the pan then lift out the parchment paper and slice into squares.
  For the Glaze:
  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. <I did this in the microwave>
  2. Add the powdered sugar and maple syrup and stir until the glaze is smooth. If necessary add 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of water to thin it out.
  3. Drizzle over the cooled oatmeal squares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment