Sunday, July 22, 2012

Orange Juice Muffins


Oh my! I think this is my new favorite muffin.  I found the recipe on the blog Annie's Eats. I knew I had to try it when I saw the recipe called for sour cream. In my experience, baked goods containing sour cream are super moist.  And I wasn't disappointed in the least! This muffin is delicate and fluffy and the orange juice glaze just takes the whole thing to another level of yummy-ness! I will definitely make these again for my family (FYI the kids went bonkers for them) and I would certainly serve them at a brunch or ladies' luncheon.

*Please note Annie's Eats says this recipe yields 16 muffins. I was able to make 24 muffins no problem at all!

For the muffins:
1 cup milk
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
½ cup sour cream
2 large eggs
2 sticks butter, melted
3½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1½ Tbl baking powder
½ tsp salt
Zest of 1 orange

For the glaze:
¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
1-2 tsp. orange zest (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350˚ F.

Line 16 wells of a muffin pan (or pans) with paper liners.  In a medium mixing bowl, combine the milk, orange juice, sour cream, eggs and melted butter.  Whisk together to blend.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Stir to blend.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until incorporated.  Fold in the orange zest with a spatula.

Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin cups.  Bake about 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet.

To make the glaze, combine the orange juice, confectioners’ sugar, and orange zest in a small bowl. Whisk together until smooth, adding more juice if necessary to achieve your preferred consistency. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins while they are still warm.  Allow the glaze to set before serving. Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment