Saturday, February 9, 2013

Breakfast Brownies


I have been tweaking this recipe here and there for awhile now and I finally nailed it! These breakfast brownies are moist, sweet - but, not too sweet for the morning, and filling. Of course, they are quite nutritious, as well! I'm happy to report these brownies contain zero eggs, zero butter and zero oil! They are packed full of bananas, applesauce, oats, and a boat-load of shredded zucchini. The kids think they are getting a huge treat with me letting them eat brownies for breakfast (*cue evil laugh- Bwahahahahaha!!).

They did say, "Mom, these don't taste like regular brownies."  I held my breath and thought, Oh, no, here we go, rejection time! But they finished, "They taste more like your chocolate cake!" Phew!  But really, the kids are right - these don't taste JUST like brownies- full disclosure! I don't want you to bake these for a party and serve them for dessert! Ha! They taste more like chocolate banana bread. I'm sure you and your crew will love them!  Enjoy!

2 c. zucchini (about two medium zucchinis), shredded fine and squeezed dry
2 medium bananas, mashed well
1/2 c. applesauce
1 1/2 c. white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. whole wheat PASTRY flour* (you can find this in any grocery store)
1 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. chocolate chips (use mini chocolate chips if you can find them)
3/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350F

Shred zucchini using the smallest hole on your grater. I actually use a microplane to shred my zucchini because it gets it very fine. After your zucchini is shredded you MUST squeeze the excess water out of it. I usually put them in several paper towels and then just squeeze them with my hands over the sink. You can also put the shredded zucchini in a strainer and push the water out. You will be shocked at how much water is released. If you miss this step, your breakfast brownies will be wet! Set the shredded, squeezed dry zucchini aside.

In a large mixing bowl mash the bananas. Add applesauce and stir to combine. Add sugar; stir. Add vanilla and stir. Next add cocoa, baking soda, salt, whole wheat pastry flour and all-purpose flour. Stir to combine. Add the shredded, squeezed dry zucchini and combine. Add chocolate chips and oats.

Pour batter in a greased 9X13 inch glass baking dish. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until the brownies spring back when you touch them. Let cool completely and cut into squares. Try not to snicker when your kids gobble these down and ask for more!!!

*If you don't have whole wheat pastry flour, then just use 2 cups of all-purpose flour.

2 comments:

  1. ?? Those are good for you ?? Oh my they are DELICIOUS !! Kelly, I love them. Thank you for posting this. I did shred the zucchini and let it dry completely. You were right, lots of water !!

    Thanks again, cannot wait to try another recipe with zucchini in it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh GREAT!!! I'm so happy you love them as much as I do! I know, it's hard to believe they are healthy, huh!?! Delish!

    ReplyDelete