Friday, March 20, 2015

Carrot Cake Green Smoothie


Ooh this was a fun one! I have never really thought about putting carrots in a blender (since they are so hard)....but, this worked....it was actually very good and the carrots blended smoothly (thanks to three smoothie cycles in my Vitamix). If you do not have a Vitamix or a high power blender, consider grating the carrots instead of chopping them. I think this will help break them down enough to get a smooth consistency.

Please promise me you will use organic, regular sized carrots!!! Organic carrots are cheap and readily available.  I never peel carrots, and you don't need to either! Chop or grate those babies as is (wash all your produce before using) - no need to waste any of the nutrients found in the outer carrot "skin" by peeling.  Enjoy!!

1 cup chopped or grated unpeeled carrots (about three medium carrots)
2 large handfuls of fresh spinach
1 cup pineapple
1 ripe banana
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
3 Tbl raw, unsweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup almond milk (or regular milk)
1 cup ice
2 tablespoons almond or peanut butter, optional

Mix all ingredients in a blender and serve in a tall glass. This makes two large servings.
I totally forgot to add my banana to this picture!! Do add one- it makes it nice and creamy!

No comments:

Post a Comment