Saturday, November 10, 2012

Greek Salad - THE Best Recipe EVER!


I recently came across the most wonderful blog called The Cafe Sucre Farine. This lady's recipes are marvelous!! Truly truly! I blogged her Sweet Balsamic Salad Dressing last week. You must try it! And now I am blogging yet another one of her salads. Please believe me when I tell you this: the recipes below are the very best Greek salad & salad dressing I have ever had- hands down! This could be served in ANY restaurant in the country and I guarantee you will would proclaim, "This is the best Greek salad I've ever had!" My husband and I feasted in pure bliss on this delectable dish earlier this week...and I have been craving it ever since! I think I'll always put cooked potatoes in my salads from now on! HA! Please give it a try! And please check out her yummy blog!

*Note: My husband doesn't like raw red onion nor does he like olives. I put everything in my salad and simply omitted his dislikes. Feel free to add and omit what you do and don't like. 

**Note: I only made half the dressing & salad for the two of us...and I STILL had dressing to spare.

For the Salad Dressing
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup canola oil
2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
3 teaspoons dried oregano
3 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon fresh mint leaves, chopped fine
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
For the Salad
8 cups romaine lettuce
3 plum tomatoes, cut in wedges (I used cherry tomatoes)
1 English cucumber, sliced or 1 regular cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow or red bell pepper (seeded and cut into rings or sliced) 
3/4 cup cannellini beans 
3/4 cup tiny potatoes cooked till tender and cooled (if you don't have tiny potatoes just diced up a large potato and boil till tender- this took about 12 minutes for the potatoes to be fork tender)
3/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled (or to taste)
1/4 cup Kalamata olives, halved
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts (this was my own addition)
1. Place all salad dressing ingredient in a glass jar. Cover and shake well. 
3. Chill in fridge for a couple of hours before using to blend flavors.
3. Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over to coat lightly; toss to combine.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly! I just saw this and wanted to say thank you for your very kind words. I'm so happy you enjoyed this recipe - it's one of our favorites! Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete