Friday, January 4, 2013

Cheesy Mashed Cauliflower


My father made this yummy side dish when he and my mom were out visiting over the holidays. I just loved it! Mashed cauliflower is a healthy and delicious substitute for mashed potatoes when you are trying to eat less carbs or eat more veggies or both! Use light cream cheese, light sour cream and skim milk if you want to further the healthy benefits (that's taking it too far for me, however....I don't let anything labeled "light" enter my fridge - just sayin'......)! Enjoy!

1 large head of cauliflower, bottom cut off and chopped (this yields approx 8 cups)
2 Tbl cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbl sour cream
2 Tbl milk
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 to 1 tsp salt (to taste)
Pepper to taste
1/2 c. shredded cheese - optional (I used cheddar; you can use a shredded mix or pepper jack for a little spice)

Preheat oven to broil.

Steam chopped cauliflower for 6 to 8 minutes, or until tender.  The way you prepare the mashed cauliflower depends on your texture preference. For a chunkier texture you can mash everything together with a potato masher. You can also put all the ingredients into the food processor (I used my Vitamix) to get a really creamy texture. This is your call. However you decide, combine the steamed cauliflower, cream cheese, sour cream, milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.  If you are not using the cheese, your cauliflower is ready to eat!

If you are using cheese, spoon the cauliflower mash into a baking dish and evenly sprinkle cheese on top. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly. Serve immediately. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. i just found your site! And, i can't wait to try your wonderful recipes, especially this one. i have recently been diagnosed Prediabetes and I've had to change the way I eat. What a blessing to have found you.

    ReplyDelete