Friday, January 2, 2015

Fudgy Skillet Cookie


I whipped this Cooking Light recipe up last night for the fam. I love how easy it was to bake the whole thing in one skillet!! My kids loved getting a big "pizza" slice of the cookie (and actually, to me it was more brownie-like). You guys know me well enough by now to know that I substituted the butter for coconut oil, used dairy-free chocolate chips, whole wheat pastry flour and subbed out the regular sugar for coconut sugar - it was still delicious!!! So, substitute as you will - or make the full fat version (when it comes to sweets, sometimes you just have to go whole hog).  I also added some toppings. The kids wanted mini marshmallows and I sprinkled sliced almonds on top for my husband. The possibilities are endless and you can also leave it plain. Enjoy!

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted <I used coconut oil>
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar <I used 1/2 cup coconut sugar total>
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour <I used whole wheat pastry flour>
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
10" cast iron skillet OR a 10" round baking pan

Extra topping ideas:
Mini marshmallows
Sliced Almonds
Chopped peanuts
Chopped pretzels
Chopped pecans
Chopped walnuts
More chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a microwave safe bowl melt butter and 1/4 cup chocolate chips on HIGH for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir well. Heat for another 30 seconds and then stir until completely melted and combined. 

In a large bowl, combine butter/melted chocolate mixture and sugars with a wooden spoon. Stir in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in remaining chocolate chips. Transfer to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; smooth top. Sprinkle with topping(s) of your choice, if using.

Bake until cookie is golden brown and just set in the center, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment