Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies


Sweet and salty chocolate chip cookies? YES, please! WOW! These were just...WOW! So yummy! Love the salt and the subtle crunch from the pretzels! Next time you make chocolate chip cookies, spice them up a bit with some crushed pretzels - you will not be disappointed! Going forward, I will ALWAYS add pretzels to my cookies....it was truly that good! I'm thinking it will be my "secret" ingredient! Not so much a secret anymore....but, hey, when I uncover something this good, I really do have to share! You're welcome!!

Use any chocolate chip cookie base you like....I always use the recipe on the bag of the Nestle Toll House bag (decreasing the amount of salt to 1/2 tsp because of all the salt on the pretzels). If you do not want to use the peanut butter chips, sub in an extra 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chips. Enjoy!

  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
  • 1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels (the amount of crushing you do is entirely up to you- however, I do not recommend pulverizing them to oblivion. It was nice to see a little pretzel. The texture of the pretzels chunks was really nice, too)
Preheat oven to 375F
 
In a large mixing bowl, cream room-temp butter with sugars. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well. Add vanilla; mix. Add flour, baking soda & salt; mix till combined. Add chocolate chips, peanut butter chips and crushed pretzels; mix. At this point, I always put my dough in the refrigerator for an hour to firm up.  I feel this steps makes a big difference in how the cookies bake. If you have time, please do this! Drop by rounded tablespoons (I use a cookie scoop for uniformity) onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Do not overbake!!! Cool completely before transferring cookies to plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment