Thursday, September 27, 2012

Lasagna Soup


If I could only use one word to describe this magnificent soup, I would say DELICIOUS. But, then, I kinda cheated because I started off by saying "magnificent." So, I guess I would call it magnificently delicious. But really, that doesn't do it justice - I need more adjectives!!! How 'bout this: this incredible soup is amazingly, magnificently delicious AND what's more, if you do not make this, you will be seriously missing out on some major yummy-ness and some mega praise from any and all who eat it!! I think you get the point....

Recipe from Kowalski's Market website.

Soup:
2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
2 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 (28 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock
8 oz. fusilli or baby shell pasta, COOKED
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
8 oz. ricotta
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
pinch of freshly ground black pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with the back of a spoon until browned, about 5 min. Add onions and cook until softened, about 6 min. Add garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook 1 min. more. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring another 3–4 min. or until the tomato paste turns a rusty brown color.

Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves and chicken stock and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 30 min. Add cooked pasta. Cook for another 15 minutes.  Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and black pepper.

In small bowl, combine ricotta, Parmesan cheese and pepper.

To serve, place a dollop of ricotta cheese mixture in each soup bowl; sprinkle some of the mozzarella on top and ladle the hot soup over the cheese. Serve hot. Don't forget the crusty bread to serve alongside the soup! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made this for dinner last night Kelly! It was a big hit and delicious. I have a feeling I'll be making it much more once the weather gets a bit colder :) Thanks for the recommendation- I hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete