Thursday, November 15, 2012

Avalanche Bars


I just whipped up these tasty Rice Krispie Treat take-offs this afternoon! The recipe was super easy, no baking required and they are really quite yummy! My three year old even helped out (lately she has taken a huge interest in helping me bake and cook- hence the little apron she's wearing in the photo below....I have to admit, I'm more than excited about this and I foresee many baking/bonding experiences in our future!!!). The recipe comes from the blog Cookies & Cups. Enjoy!

12 oz bag of White Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter (as always, I only had extra crunchy in my cabinet...worked great!)
3 cups Rice Krispies
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips + 2 Tbsp for garnish.
Lightly grease a 9x9 pan (I only had an 8X8 pan and it worked fine!)

In microwave-safe bowl pour in white chips and heat on 50% power for 30 seconds. Stir and continue in 30 second increments until chips are melted. Please make sure that you stir after every 30 seconds. I have had issues with white chips before- if they get too hot, they can clump and get hard. No bueno!

Combine the peanut butter with the melted chips and stir well. Add the Krispies.

Let cool approx 15 – 20 minutes stirring every 5 minutes or so to help cool.

Add the marshmallows and the mini chocolate chips and stir to combine.

Pour mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly, pressing lightly with the back of your spoon or a piece of parchment paper. Do not compact too much, otherwise they will get hard.

Press the remaining chocolate chips into the top for garnish. I put mine in the fridge for a 1/2 hour to help them cool and set.


When the bars are completely cooled cut into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment