Sunday, March 1, 2015

Sweet Tart Smoothie


I am a big-time green smoothie drinker.....my husband and I drink a giant smoothie every day, seven days a week (and sometimes I can get the kids to drink one, too). Green smoothies give me loads of energy (I've never had a cup of coffee in all my life), fill me up with fiber, and force me to "eat" a crazy amount of veggies and fruit that I would never consume in such mass quantities otherwise. 

I have never blogged my smoothie recipes, although many friends have asked, because I don't have a recipe. I just throw in whatever I have and whatever I can find at the store. My smoothies usually include spinach, kale, pineapple, grapes, kiwis, bananas, oranges, apples, pears, mangoes, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, and zucchinis.....of course, not all once, but sometimes close!! Haha!

Today I tried a fruit that, believe it or not, I have never used in a smoothie before: a grapefruit!  It gave my smoothie a tart bite- which I liked! The bananas and pear added sweetness to the mix, hence the Sweet Tart Smoothie!

If you are new to smoothies, use spinach instead of kale. Spinach has a much more mild flavor, and to be honest, I prefer spinach over kale in my smoothies 100% of the time. But there are those who adore kale and don't mind its bitter flavor- so, to those of you I say, "Go for it!" I drink kale every once in awhile because I know it's good for me and a smoothie is a great way to get in a lot of it while masking it with other sweet flavors.

Let me know what you think!
Try to use as much organic produce as you can!!!

2 cups fresh spinach or kale (if using kale, remove stems!!!)
1/2 cucumber
2 celery stalks (I always use the inner stalks because they are sweeter- I use the leafy tops, too)
1 ripe banana
1/2 grapefruit, remove peel and seeds, if any
1 cup of purified water or coconut water
1 pear
1 cup of pineapple
*A couple ice cubes if needed

Put all ingredients through a high efficiency blender (we use a Vitamix) and blend until completely smooth. This makes enough for two people. You can also drink half and safe the other half for later. Use within a day or two and store it in the refrigerator. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment