Thursday, September 11, 2014

See's Candy Chewy Chocolate Chip Browned Butter Cookies


Well Folks, I think I may have found the ULTIMATE chocolate chip cookie. I know, I know, I say this all the time! It's true.....I am a cookie conoisseur....I love me a good cookie (it's one of my weaknesses) and I'm always searching for new, fun, yummy recipes to share with you all.  I often find myself attracted to cookie recipes that are filled to the brim with goodies- nuts, toffee, pretzels, cinnamon chips, white chips, peanut butter, yada, yada, yada.....And I truly do love me a goodie-filled cookie.  But, there are times when I just crave a straight-up, plain ol' chocolate chip cookie....and let me tell you, this simple recipe totally nails it!!!

I found this recipe on the See's Candy website.  I grew up in California where See's Candy stores were a dime a dozen - I never knew how lucky my sweet tooth had it until I moved to another state. Oh See's, how I miss you so! I know I can buy See's online....and I know our big mall here has a See's kiosk, but, it just isn't the same. See's Candy will always be my all time, forever favorite chocolate.

So, while I was browsing their website the other day (I do that every once in awhile because I like to torture myself) I noticed they had a "recipe" section. I was intrigued immediately!!  This cookie recipe is very unique...the butter is deeply browned and then immediately put into the freezer - I was like, "what, what?!"  After I blended that beautifully browned butter with the sugars I tasted a tiny bit- it tasted like toffee!! I knew right then these cookies would be very very good (and oh are they!). But, there was one other ingredient that really shook things up....just a teeny, tiny bit of molasses. I have never used molasses in a chocolate chip cookie before.  I wondered if that teensy bit would make such a difference. I think it did. I'd love to hear if you think it took these cookies to the next level, too!

Oh!! And one more thing to note. The recipe says to let the cookie dough rest in the fridge for 24 hours before baking. I definitely agree with chilling your dough before baking!! But, it can be difficult to plan for cookies up to a day ahead!! So, I cooked a few cookies after letting the dough chill only 4 hours. And then I baked the rest after the full 24 hours. The cookies that were chilled for only 4 hours were still delicious!!!! Although, the cookies that were chilled for the full day were even better. Anyway, all that to say, if you can't wait a day to bake the dough, they will still turn out yummy!

Here is the recipe directly from See's website (please note, I doubled everything you see here to make a full, regular sized batch of cookies....I probably should have quadrupled it they were so good!!!):

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp molasses
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 oz See's semi-sweet chocolate chips <I used Toll House- oh sorry, See's! If I had a store near me, then you know I'd use your chips!>

In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat about 5 minutes, until bubbling and foaming. Once butter is amber in color, transfer to a small bowl. Scrape the browned bits from the pan into the bowl too. Add one teaspoon of cold water, and stir. Place bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes to cool while you prepare the other ingredients.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

Remove browned butter from the freezer and place it in the mixer along with sugar and brown sugar <I just used a hand mixer; it worked fine>. With the paddle attachment, mix on low for one minute, then increase to medium speed until combined.

Scrape down sides of mixing bowl and paddle, then add egg, molasses and vanilla. Mix for about one minutes until completely combined. 

Add the flour mixture and mix on low speed until fully combined.

Stir in chocolate chips.

Let cookie dough rest for 24 hours in the refrigerator.

When it's time to bake, preheat oven to 350F.

Place rounded tablespoonfuls of dough, two inches apart on parchment-lined cookie sheets <I did not line my cookie sheets, nor did I grease them>. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes <do NOT overcook these cookies!>.  Remove cookies from oven and let cool for 9 or 10 minutes before transferring them to a plate.

1 comment:

  1. Since no one has posted a comment I will make these and report back. A woman I volunteer with is dying and she asked for my chocolate chip cookies that use browned butter. I can't find the recipe! In looking for it I stumbled across yours. Will let you know if they are a success.

    ReplyDelete