Monday, February 25, 2013

Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken


I have been making many crockpot recipes lately - and it's all for you, my dear readers! I have to admit, I'm not impressed with 4 out of 5 of the recipes I try.....I just don't think they are "blog-worthy"- at least not The Wooden Spoon Diaries blog-worthy Most of the crockpot recipes I try are  bland and mushy! I do my best to post only the best for you all.....but as you know, you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince!

Well, I have to say, I think my Hawaiian Chicken is definitely a prince of a recipe! It gets a big "check" for easiness. It gets a big "check" for meat tenderness. And it definitely gets a big "check" for yummy-ness! I served the chicken and sauce over brown rice (I used boil in the bag - another easy "check") and my family's favorite Hawaiian rolls. The meal was pretty sweet, so, if you want to balance flavors I would recommend a side salad. The meat would also taste great in a roll, tortilla or in a baked potato! Enjoy!

3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1 cup pineapple, chopped (I used fresh pineapple, but you can used canned if you like)
1 to 1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce (I like Sweet Baby Ray's - use your favorite)
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch strips

Place chicken, chopped onion, chopped pineapple, BBQ sauce and chicken broth in a crockpot. Cook on high for 4 hours. Add the green bell pepper strips to the crockpot 30 minutes before serving. If you add them too soon they will get mushy and overcooked.

                            Remove chicken and shred.

                  Serve shredded chicken and sauce over brown rice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment