Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Caprese Steak Sandwich with Spicy Basil Mayo


After taking a bite of this sandwich, my son declared, "Mom, this is the best sandwich I've ever eaten in my life!" Well, I don't know about THAT, but, I definitely loved his enthusiasm for my cooking! Ha! I will say, though, that this sandwich is darn darn good and my husband gave me lots of "yums" while eating it.
I planned ahead for this dinner and had my husband make an extra steak when we grilled out the other night. It made prepping for this sandwich really easy to have the meat already cooked. I used a big ol' one pound filet, but, you could certainly use a different tender cut of meat. Also, make sure you get soft hoagie rolls; there is nothing worse than cracking a tooth whilst biting into a big giant sub. I served this sandwich with a homemade smoothie. Enjoy!

2 Tbl butter, divided
1/2 a large onion, halved and sliced
1 pound steak, cooked to your liking and sliced thin (I used a filet, but, you could use another tender cut of meat)
3 Tbl Mayo
15 basil leaves, cut chiffonade
5 to 10 dashes of Tabasco sauce
2 whole hoagie rolls, split
6 to 8 slices of fresh Mozzarella
6 to 8 slices of ripe tomato
1 c. salad mix

Preheat oven to 350F

Melt 1 Tbl of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Cook onions for five to ten minutes, until golden brown.

While the onions are cooking, mix mayo, basil and Tabasco in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside.

Put split hoagie rolls in the preheated oven for 5 minutes or until rolls are lightly toasted.

Add thinly sliced pre-cooked steak and another 1 Tbl of butter to the cooked onions. Cook till steak is warmed through and butter has melted.
To assemble sandwich divide basil mayo evenly between the two sandwiches and spread on the bottom roll.  Layer steak and onions next. Then fresh mozzarella, followed by tomatoes. Top with salad mix. Press the top half of the roll on top. Cut in half and serve immediately. Yummers!

No comments:

Post a Comment