Thursday, May 22, 2014

Tabbouleh Salad with Portobello Mushrooms


You know I love me some grain-based salads!! And Tabbouleh just happens to be at the top of the list. When I saw this recipe in Cusine at Home Magazine, I knew I had to make it.....the portobello mushrooms just took it over the edge! This bulgar salad was very filling....the mushrooms added a "meaty" flavor to the dish. I served this with pita bread and sides of hummus and tzatzkiki sauce. Enjoy!

Tabbouleh:

1 cup dry quick-cooking bulgar
1 10oz tub of grape tomatoes, halved
1 seedless cucumber, chopped
1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint (do not omit the mint- it is excellent!)
1/2 cup pitted and sliced kalamata olive (optional)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped <this was my own addition>

Vinaigrette:
Zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice <I used four large lemons>
1/2 extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbl minced fresh garlic <I used 1 Tbl>
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mushrooms:
4 large portobello mushrooms <I only used two>
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Preheat the oven to 425F

Cook bulgar according to package directions; transfer to a baking sheet and chill.

Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, chickpeas, parsley, green onions, mint, olives (if using), red bell pepper, and chilled cooked bulgar; toss with vinaigrette and chill until ready to serve.

To make vinaigrette whisk together lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt & pepper. Save aside a tablespoon or two to brush on top of the mushrooms (this depends on how many mushrooms you are using- since I only used two, I only held out 1 Tbl of the vinaigrette).

The recipe directions calls for you to grill the portobellos. I just put them in the oven (easier than heating up the grill). Brush both sides of the portobellos with the reserved vinaigrette and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook in a 425F oven for 10 minutes.

Slice mushrooms into 1/2 thick strips and serve on top of the Tabbouleh salad. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment