Thursday, July 26, 2012

Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream



Oh boy, this homemade ice cream is super yum!!! This recipe comes from the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book. If you love to make homemade ice cream than you must buy this book (and by the way, if you don't already have an ice cream maker, think about getting one...they are relatively inexpensive, easy to use and let's face it, there is nothing like homemade ice cream to WOW friends and family)! I did add 1/2 cup of miniature chocolate chips to the ice cream only because I didn't think it had enough calories as is...HA! Did I already mention this ice cream is super yum!? Oh, I did? Well, I'm saying it again- SUPER YUM! Go make some!

2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups whipping cream
1 cup milk
1/3 cup smooth natural peanut butter
8 Reeses peanut butter cups, chopped
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips (totally optional- that's my own addition)

Whisk the eggs until light and frothy. Add the sugar slowly, whisking constantly to incorporate. Add the whipping cream and milk and whisk until smooth. Pour 1 cup of the mixture into a separate bowl and add the peanut butter to that bowl. Mix well and pour peanut butter mixture into the cream mixture. Whisk in until fully incorporated.

Freeze mixture in your ice cream maker as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Two minutes before the ice cream is due to be done add the peanut butter cup pieces.

Pour into a tupperware or similar container and freeze until hard (it should take about 5-6 hours).

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this recipe! Absolutely the best!!! I also love this cookbook (I just use eggbeaters instead of raw eggs)!!! I prefer this peanut butter ice cream with pb cups instead of the peanuts, just like you made it. I also love adding peanut butter cups to the chocolate ice cream and the chocolate peanut butter ice cream recipes in this cookbook.

    I just made this ice cream yesterday, and topped it off today with some "Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sauce" (www.cookscountry.com). You microwave a cup of jarred hot fudge sauce (like Hershey's Hot Fudge, not the chocolate syrup) in a microwave-safe bowl until hot, about 1 minute. Whisk in 2 Tablespoons peanut butter, 4 teaspoons water, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Also delicious!

    ReplyDelete