Friday, March 2, 2012

Caramelized Onion & Chicken Sandwiches




My husband gave this incredibly yummy sandwich rave reviews when I served it last week for dinner. And I concurred- delicious! The recipe comes from Peace Meals (okay, this cookbook is seriously in my Top 5 favorites! A must have for cooks of all kinds!). I served it with a side salad and Salt & Pepper Kettle Chips (another favorite!). Like always, I used a rotisserie chicken because it just tastes so good and saves so much time! Enjoy!

1 Tbl olive oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbl brown sugar
1 Tbl Balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. raisins, soaked in hot water until plump
All the white meat from a rotisserie chicken, thinly sliced
2 crusty, good quality sandwich rolls (I used sourdough)
1 vine ripened tomato, thinly sliced
several red or green lettuce leaves
2 Tbl pesto

Heat 1 Tbl olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and gently saute for 20 minutes. Add the brown sugar and vinegar, and cook for 10 more minutes. Drain the raisins and add to the onions; gently stir and remove from heat. Slice the rolls in half lengthwise and remove some of the soft bread inside to make a shallow well in each piece.

Layer the bottom halves with the caramelized onions and raisin mixture, chicken, tomatoes and lettuce. Spread the tops with pesto and press the halves together.

1 comment:

  1. I made these last night, Kelly! They were DELICIOUS and Bryan gave them an A+, as well! Great meal when you're pressed for time. Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete