Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Ultimate Brownies


This recipe (also known "crack brownies") has been floating around Pinterest for weeks! I finally decided to give it a shot! These decadent brownies were simple AND fun to make; very yummy and yes, it was hard to stop at just one (and I didn't!). I think it was the peanuts that really put them over the edge! In fact, the next time I make these, I think I'll add another 1/2 cup! I just love that crunch!! Enjoy!

1 box brownie mix (AND all the ingredients needed to bake them)
1/2 cup salted peanuts
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 cup Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips (you can also use semi-sweet for a deeper chocolatey taste)
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter (you know I used crunchy- FYI, I don't believe in creamy PB)
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease a 9X13 inch pan very well (or whatever size pan your brownie mix calls for).

Make brownies according to the directions on the package and pour into prepared pan. Bake the least amount that the brownie box recommends minus 5 minutes. For example, if your brownie mix says to bake for 30 to 35 minutes, bake these for 25 minutes. I say to do this because once you add the next layer of goodies, you will return the brownies to the oven for an additional 6 minutes of baking. You definitely do not want to overcook the brownies!! Slightly undercooked brownies are always best!

Remove the brownies from the oven and immediately sprinkle the peanuts, marshmallows and peanut butter cups on top. Return to the oven for an additional 6 minutes of baking.


Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and peanut butter in a large bowl in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring in between each interval (approximately 1 1/2 minutes should do the trick). Stir in cereal.  Spread the cereal mixture evenly over the top.


Refrigerate for 2 hours to let the top layer "set". Once I removed the brownies from the fridge I ran a butter knife along the sides of the pan a few times on each side. I didn't think it was going to work- but, I flipped the whole thing onto a clean cutting board, gave the pan a hard thunk and to my delight, the whole thing came out in one glorious piece!!! It is always SO much easier to cut bar cookies when they are out of the pan- these were no exception! So, if you greased your pan well enough and are feeling lucky, give this final step before cutting a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment