Sunday, September 29, 2013

Apple Fritter Bread


It's that time of year again.....apple picking time! Yesterday the whole family headed on over to the orchard to pick apples (we even picked Honey Crisp!!!) on a beautiful early autumn day. We went a bit crazy (I blame my apple-lovin'-husband for this) and bought three pecks (roughly 30 pounds)!!!! SOOOOOOO........I've already made three of these apple fritter breads and I have my dehydrator filled to the brim with apple slices at this very moment. What's next? I'm thinking at least a couple pies, lots of juicing and I think this is the year I will finally make some apple butter! But first, here is the recipe for this glorious bread.....the recipe comes from Rumbly in my Tumbly.

Now go pick some apples and get baking!!!


Bread:

1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
*1 apple, grated <this is my own addition - I think it adds moisture to the bread. I did not peel>
1 apple, peeled and chopped, mixed with 1 T granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon <I actually minced my apple- I like little tiny pieces>
 
Glaze:
1 cup of powdered sugar + 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream, mixed together to a drizzling consistency

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.

Mix brown sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon together in a bowl.

Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract.

Combine flour and baking powder together in a bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture. Mix milk into batter until smooth. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the minced cinnamon sugar apples and half the brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apple mixture into batter. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a finger or spoon.



Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes <PLEASE note that I checked my bread at 40 minutes and it was in no way finished....I ended up baking it for 53 minutes and it was perfect!!>

Let cool for about 15 minutes before drizzling with glaze.  Then, enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. So glad you enjoyed this, yours looks beautiful. -Shannon @Rumbly in my Tumbly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon!! Enjoyed it immensely!!!! So many friends and readers are making it!!! I love your blog!!! Thx u for sharing so many delicious goodies!!!!

      Delete