Monday, May 13, 2013

Southwest Chopped Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing

I can't convey how absolutely scrumptious this healthful salad is!!! My husband and I literally devoured it! I ate mine with a large spoon because my fork didn't allow for adequate shoveling! HA!! This salad was crunchy and creamy and just absolutely delectable.  I added crushed tortilla chips to mine for even more crunch. After much discussion over the deliciousness, we both thought a chopped avocado would be the icing on the cake. And for you meat-lovers, I think some seasoned crumbled ground beef would be yummy!! Don't skimp on making this dressing from scratch - the dressing definitely makes this salad all that it is!

Thank you to the Garden Grazer blog for this recipe:

Salad:

Large head of romaine, finely chopped
15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large orange bell pepper
1 pint cherry tomatoes
15 oz. can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
5 green onions

Finely chop romaine, bell pepper, tomatoes, and green onions. Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir to combine. Toss with *creamy cilantro-lime dressing.
*I only used about half of the dressing. I happily saved the rest to use in another salad later this week! 

Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing:

1 cup loosely packed cilantro, stems removed and roughly chopped
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1-2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. white vinegar
1/8 tsp. salt
**The Garden Grazer also recommends adding a little cayenne pepper for heat and ground cumin for flavor- which I did! I used ~1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper and ~1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Puree all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
 



2 comments:

  1. Made your salad this weekend to bring to a babyshower. It was a HIT!!! Everyone loved it! Thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete