Friday, April 5, 2013

Fresh Apple & Cinnamon Scones


These scones were BEYOND.....just BEYOND delicious! My husband ate three of them the first night I made them (okay, I ate three, too....I just couldn't stop myself!!!). I have often found scones to be dry and bland......I hardly ever go for a scone when I'm at a bakery because I'm always disappointed. Enter these fresh apple & cinnamon scones from the King Arthur Flour website. They were moist and flavorful....the freshly diced apples and cinnamon chips were just little bursts of yummy-ness with every single bite! I will make these again and again - for no reason whatsoever (except that I get a huge kick from seeing my husband devour them) and I will also make them for a brunch or a luncheon, to give to neighbors, friends, get well goodies, teacher appreciation breakfasts....you get the idea right?

Here is the recipe straight from the King Arthur Flour website:

Scones
  • 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice or ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold butter
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh apple, in 1/2" pieces; leave the skin on, if you like (*I peeled my apple and diced it so that the pieces were finely chopped)
  • 3/4 cup cinnamon chips
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened preferred

Topping

  • 3 tablespoons coarse white sparkling sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 

 1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and spice.


2) Work in the butter just until the mixture is unevenly crumbly; it's OK for some larger chunks of butter to remain unincorporated. (*I just used my hands to do this- it's easier for me to get messy than to mess with used utensils/pastry cutter)

3) Stir in the chopped apple and cinnamon chips.

4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and applesauce. 

5) Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and holds together.

6) Line a baking sheet with parchment; if you don't have parchment, just use it without greasing it. Sprinkle a bit of flour atop the parchment or pan. 

7) Scrape the dough onto the floured parchment or pan, and divide it in half. Gently pat and round each half into a 5" to 5 1/2" circle about 3/4" thick.

8) To make the topping: Stir together the coarse sugar and cinnamon. Brush each circle with milk, and sprinkle with the topping.

9) Using a knife or bench knife that you've run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 wedges. 


10) Carefully pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit; there should be about 1/2" space between them, at their outer edges.

11) For best texture and highest rise, place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. While the scones are chilling, preheat the oven to 425°F

12) Bake the scones for 18 to 22 minutes, or until they're golden brown. When you pull one away from the others, it should look baked all the say through; the edge shouldn't look wet or unbaked. 

13) Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan. Serve warm. When they're completely cool, wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to several days.


No comments:

Post a Comment