Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The BEST Raw Energy Bites

When I tell you these are the BEST raw energy bites I have ever made, I mean it!!! I make these for myself all the time and I find them to be just delicious and totally satisfying to any sweet cravings I have.  I often eat them post-work out or in the morning if I don't have time for breakfast. I even eat them for dessert. They are great little snacks to have on hand. With the exception of the small amount of chocolate I put in them (and by the way, you can totally omit the chocolate if you want to), their only source of sugar is from the dried dates. The dates give these bites the perfect hint of sweetness. If you want them to be less sweet, add fewer dates. Sweeter? Add a few more dates. Customize them to your tastes. Give these yummy energy bites a try - I know you will enjoy them!!!

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup raw almonds
2 Tbl wheat germ
2 Tbl ground flax seed
10 dried, pitted dates
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I use vanilla paste)
1/4 cup chocolate chips (you can use a high quality dark chocolate here, too - or omit the chocolate)
1/4 cup water

Put the oats, almonds, wheat germ and flax seed into a food processor. Process till the ingredients are completely ground down and combined. Add dates and vanilla; process till combined.
Add the chocolate chips (if using) and the water. Process until everything is combined and the mixture starts to pull to one side in a ball (the chocolate chips may not fully grind down). If it is not holding together enough, add a tsp or two more water. Do not add too much water or the mixture will become super sticky.

Next use a cookie scooper to scoop the mixture into little balls. I like using the cookie scoop so I don't have to touch them and get my hands sticky and messy. Place balls directly into a Tupperware container with a tight fitting lid.  I usually get around 15 energy bites out of each batch. There really isn't much need to get too fussy or precise over these- they are just going to get gobbled up anyway- you don't need to worry about presentation here folks. I keep my energy bites in the refrigerator. These hold together MUCH better when they are chilled.  Store in the fridge for a week. Well, to be honest, I'm not sure how long they would store....mine have never lasted more than a five days - tops! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment