Sunday, October 6, 2013

Creamy Sauerkraut & Apple Chowder



This soup was inspired by a recipe I saw in Food & Wine magazine. I absolutely love sauerkraut, so I was intrigued.  I replaced the two pork meats the original recipe called for with chicken sausage which is lower in fat, yet sacrifices zero flavor. I also added a tart apple. I love this addition and am really pleased with the end product. I served this soup with open-faced Reuben-inspired sandwiches. This was a hearty, tasty meal that I will definitely be making again. Enjoy!


1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 large onion, very thinly sliced
1 large tart apple, peeled a cut into thin, bite sized pieces
2 uncooked chicken sausages, removed from casings (I used chicken apple sausage)
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound sauerkraut—drained, rinsed and squeezed dry (1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup crème fraîche
1/4 cup snipped chives
Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add the onion, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the apple and cook for a minute more. Add the chicken sausage and cook about 5 minutes, using a spatula or a handy dandy Mix 'n Chop to break the sausage into tiny pieces. Stir in the flour. Add the broth and sauerkraut and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and chives. Serve in bowls with Reuben-inspired turkey sandwiches (see below).
These sandwiches were whipped up in a few minutes using sauerkraut as my inspiration. Turn oven to broil.  Put rye bread on a foil lined cookie sheet. Place in the pre-heated oven for just a minute or two until the bread is toasted. Remove pan from oven and flip the bread over. I made a little sauce out of creme fraiche and ketchup to mimic Thousand Island dressing. Spread a little sauce on the rye bread.  Next, add a bit of sauerkraut, sliced turkey and shredded cheese (I used Gruyere). Broil until cheese melts, about three minutes. Sprinkle with chopped chives and serve alongside soup.   

No comments:

Post a Comment